Charlbury Museum shows visitors the traditional crafts & industries of the Oxfordshire town of Charlbury & includes exhibits given or lent by the residents of
Charlbury & the villages surrounding the local area.
Charlbury Museum's collections was started in 1949, & in 1962 the Museum finally opened in it's present building. The museum's collections are housed in five rooms with the entrance to the museum through the Wagon Room which was added to the older building in 2002.
Rooms contains exhibits of nineteenth-century costumes, fossils, prehistoric & Romano-British artifacts.There are also copies of Vernon Watney's "Cornbury and the Forest of Wychwood" amogst other works by local authors. Walls display pictures, shop signs & maps of the local area.
Local industries, including glove-making, was a major source of employment in Charlbury for several hundred years, with the last factory only closing in 1968. There are several items on display. Elsewhere in the museum are a blacksmith's forge with bellows & a portable anvil along with displays of carpenters, thatchers & watchmaker's tools.
The Garden is the site of an old Star Inn, demolished in 1910. It is laid out with a lawn and flowerbeds in memory of the secretary and archivist of the Museum, Gillian Naish.
The Museum is organised & run by the Charlbury Society, which was founded in 1949.
See the Charlbury website. Its www.charlbury.info community page.